CONSTITUTIONAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN STATE OF GEORGIA AND THE APOSTOLIC AUTOCEPHALOUS ORTHODOX CHURCH OF GEORGIA
· As an independent and democratic state, Georgia has re-established its historic place in the civilized world.
· The Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Georgia is an Apostolic See and is inseparable part of the World Orthodox Church. It is Autocephalous since 5th century and its spiritual-administrative center and See is the City of Mtskheta; Patriarch’s other Cathedras are also Tbilisi and Bichvinta;
· Orthodoxy Christianity — one of Europe’s traditional confessions— historically was the state religion in Georgia, which have formed centuries-old Georgian culture, national weltanschauung and values;
· Vast majority of Georgian population are Orthodox Christians;
· The Constitution of Georgia acknowledges exclusive role of Apostolic Autocephalous Orthodox Church in the history of the Nation and asserts its sovereignty from the State.
In accordance with Article 9 of Georgian Constitution
Georgian state (hereinafter the "State"), represented by President of Georgia and The Apostolic Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Georgia (hereinafter the "Church") represented by Catholicos-Patriarch of all Georgia do conclude presenting Agreement (hereinafter the "Agreement"):
1. The State and The Church confirm their readiness for cooperation for the well-being of the population of the Country in accordance with principle of reciprocal sovereignty.
2. The State and The Church are able to conclude agreements also in other fields of their mutual interests. Appropriate legislations should be created to this effect.
3. The Church is historically established subject of common law, avowed by the State and vested juridical person of common law, which carries out its functions in accordance with the Church (Canon) Law, present Agreement, Georgian Constitution and Georgian Legislation.
4. The Council of The Church, Georgian Catholicos-Patriarch, Holy Synod and Patriarchy of Georgia (in the person of Vicarious and Secretary) do represent Georgian Church without any special warrants; in legal affairs, only Georgian Catholicos-Patriarch will confer warrants.
5. Georgian Catholicos-Patriarch enjoys immunity.
The Great Church Feasts as well as Sundays, as a rule, are declared Holidays.